A NEED FOR CAFFEINE

Monday, August 3, 2009

Workout the Potty

It's 10:00 p.m. and I just finished my workout for the day. "WHAT?!?!" you say? At the end of the day? Isn't it exercise rule #2 that you work out in the morning? When you have two kids and a husband who wants to talk when he gets home (and I want to talk to him and need adult interaction), you work out when you can. For me, it's after the kids go to bed. Now, my kids go to bed around 7:30. We read a wonderful book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth and we couldn't be happier with the results we've had. I'll talk more about this in other posts though. The reason it took me a little longer to get started this evening is because we watched a DVD on potty training.

So, I have a friend who recommended the "Potty Patty" doll because she saw it on Dr. Phil (potty training in one day). I wouldn't have heard a thing about it if it weren't for her because I avoid Dr. Phil like the plague. But she explained the concept to me and I forked over the $50 + shipping for one anatomically correct, pant wetting doll. My daughter is a control freak and we figured if she had the control to teach someone how to use the potty, she would be even more successful. A teacher... who knew?!?!

After appearing on the Dr. Phil show, this Potty Patty and Potty Scotty woman must be making a killing. You wouldn't guess that from the DVD. The woman on there talks to you like you're the one going through potty training and does step by step instructions. Now, I'm one of those people who doesn't catch onto things quickly and using different mediums to instruct me is FANTASTIC!!! But, this lady was driving me mad! And it seemed like she was making the process so much more complex than it is. I'm sure there are people who watch this DVD and think, "What the Hell did I get myself into?". There is a woman on there who gives a testimonial about her daughter and she is a fabulous speaker! I wish she would have been the voice of the DVD.

Anyway, we're having my mother-in-law wisk away Bean on Friday so that Cocoa and I can be home together without interruption to figure out this potty business. I'm rather excited, despite the "you're an idiot" video. I really think she'll take to this and by the end of the weekend I'll have lots of success stories to share. Is she going to be completely accident free? ARE YOU KIDDING?!?! She's been peeing in a diaper for 2.5 years and I'm now asking her to do something completely different! She has to retrain herself, her body, her mind and her habits in order to do this, and she's only two. Logic is not #1 on her list... playing is. She has been telling us lately that she needs to use the potty, but it's not consistent. We're using this method in order to make her consistent and know when to go. I'll post updates of how things are going.

0 comments: